16 to 19 Tuition Fund
Education Skills and Funding Agency 16 to 19 Tuition Fund
The Department of Education announced funding to support students whose learning was disrupted as a result of the COVID pandemic. This 16-19 Tuition Fund is available to all 16 to 19 providers such as Morpeth School and is ring-fenced for 16 to 19 small group tuition only.
The funding can be used to support small group or individual tuition for 16 to 19 students in a range of courses. We have mentors currently in place for English, Economics, Geography, History, Politics, Psychology, Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Film A Level. Morpeth Sixth Form commits to using the small group tuition funding that it has been given to mitigate against the impact of the pandemic on our study programme students. Sessions will be limited to three to one student(s) per group and will be above and beyond normal timetabled hours. Students will be prioritised for small group tuition based on the guidance released by the Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA).
The guidance indicates that the supported students must be on a 16 to 19 study programme and who have not achieved grade 5 or above in GCSE Maths and/or English by age 16. This funding will also be used to provide additional classes for students needing to retake English and Maths GCSE; for this coming spring term we have three students receiving an additional six hours for English and 15 receiving the same for Maths every fortnight.
Support sessions will thus be prioritised for the following students:
- Students who need to achieve a grade 4 in either English or Maths this summer
- Students who have engaged less effectively with online learning in the above named A Levels since January 5th
- Students who, based on work submitted during this period, need additional support to catch up.
Examples of some of the Tuition Support on offer will include:
- GCSE exam re-sit preparation via the classes identified above; students will have a dedicated English/Maths teacher for this.
- Bespoke subject support/catch-up
Morpeth School is committed to ensuring the tuition fund is used in accordance with the Government’s guidance on the 16 to 19 tuition fund by:
- producing this statement setting out how the fund will be used to support the most disadvantaged students
- publishing this guidance on the school website
- recording the use of the fund, including references to individual students who receive support, the needs of those students, the number of hours of tuition delivered and retain the evidence of the tuition provided
- deliver the extra tuition and spend the allocated funds in the academic year 2020/21
- Notify the Education Skills Funding Agency (ESFA) of any underspend from the Fund for it to be reclaimed.