Morpeth School was judged to be Outstanding in its last Ofsted inspection.
SUMMARY OF KEY FINDINGS FOR PARENTS AND PUPILS
The headteacher’s strong and clearsighted leadership has been the main driving force behind the school’s continued success. His high ambitions for the students are shared by senior leaders, staff and a highly effective governing body.
All groups of students make rapid progress whatever their backgrounds and GCSE results are well above average and rising.
Morale is high because teachers feel treated as professionals. They do not accept anything but the best from themselves and the students.
Teachers are continually encouraged to take responsibility for improving their teaching. The high investment in their ongoing training is paying huge dividends, as seen by the high quality of many lessons.Teachers capture the students’ enthusiasm and make students want to succeed because they show how much they enjoy their teaching.
Much teaching drives learning forward rapidly, but pace can slow on occasion particularly in Years 7 and 8 when some teachers do not make the best use of the time available.
Change, such as in the way subjects are organised and taught, is thought through very carefully. Ideas are carefully explored and researched before putting in place and their impact rigorously reviewed.
- The intensive study of two option subjects each year starting in Year 9 is broadening the range of subjects studied and challenging students at all levels.
- The school is very successful in its support for disabled students and those with special educational needs because it quickly and accurately identifies their needs before putting in place carefully targeted and effective support.
- Students greatly value not only how teachers show them what they can aspire to but also the effort they put into helping them to get there. Students respond by showing immense commitment to learning by trying their utmost in lessons and attending, very regularly, sessions provided out of normal school hours.
- Students feel very safe and secure in school, and are quite clear who to approach if they have concerns. Their behaviour in lessons and around the school is impeccable.
- Students have a very clear understanding of the targets they are aiming for and strive hard to achieve them. Teachers’ marking contributes significantly to moving learning forward, but occasionally offers students little guidance.
- Music, the performing arts and the school’s international links make a major contribution to the students’ excellent moral and cultural development.
THE ACHIEVEMENT OF PUPILS IS OUTSTANDING
THE QUALITY OF TEACHING IS OUTSTANDING
THE BEHAVIOUR AND SAFETY OF PUPILS ARE OUTSTANDING
THE LEADERSHIP AND MANAGEMENT ARE OUTSTANDING