At Morpeth, we have a three-year (Years 9, 10 and 11) KS4 curriculum which is made up of two parts:
- Core subjects which all pupils study
- Optional subjects which pupils choose each year.
All pupils study English, Maths, Science, Religious Studies (RS) and Physical Education (PE) throughout KS4.
All pupils take GCSEs in English, English Literature, Maths and RS. In Science, pupils will either be entered for Double GCSE or BTEC (summer 2015 only) or separate sciences: Biology, Chemistry, Physics.
Pupils choose two courses of study each year and spend the equivalent of one day a week on each course (Option 1 = Tuesday morning, Thursday afternoon; Option 2 = Tuesday afternoon, Thursday morning). Pupils make their choices in the Spring Term of Years 8, 9 and 10 for the following years. All courses are of one year’s length and if they are GCSE courses, the exam is taken in the summer of that year. Within their optional courses, pupils may be taught in vertical groups which means that there will be pupils of different year groups within each class i.e. Years 9, 10 and 11 in the same class.
Most of the courses on offer to pupils are GCSE courses however we also have a range of non-exam courses, ‘Pathways’. In our experience a balance in option subjects (whether ‘Pathways’ or ‘GCSE/BTEC’) is very important.The following courses are being studied by pupils in KS4 this year:
- Art Foundation Course
- Drama Foundation Course
- Whole Class Band
- Art and Media Foundation Course*
- Drama and Music Foundation Course*
- Design Technology & Computing/ICT*
- Humanities (some pupils may be entered for the GCSE if appropriate)
- Humanities & Modern Foreign Languages*
- Critical Thinking
* These courses offer the opportunity to study two subjects within one option block throughout the year. That means that pupils will have three sessions a fortnight of one of the subjects, and three sessions a fortnight of the other subject. For ‘Humanities & Modern Foreign Languages’ pupils are able to choose whether the language is French, Spanish or Bengali.
- Ancient History
- Business Studies
- DT – Food Technology
- DT – Graphic Products
- DT – Resistant Materials
- DT – Textiles
- Film Studies
- Media Studies
- Physical Education
Other accredited courses
- Sport BTEC
- Work Skills
- Music Technology (NCFE – GCSE equivalent)