TALKING E-SAFETY WITH PARENTS
An E-safety information session was held for parents on 16th March 2016.
Presented by Liam McQuade from Tower Hamlets Council, the session focused on how parents can help their children stay safe online.
Mr McQuade advised parents to:
- Talk to your child about the positive ways of using technology e.g. for homework, to research topics, to keep in contact with people.
- Agree as a family where your child should be using any technology e.g. computers/mobile phones AND the amount of time they should be spending online. (Research shows that on average 15-16 year olds spend 4.8 hours a day online. 7-16 year olds spend on average 3 hours a day online).
- Advise your child not to give out any personal information about their identity.
- Talk to your child about who they should share their mobile/password details with.
- Ask them to show you how they are using their privacy settings.
- Talk through issues about cyber bullying with your children by using the Childline Website videos.
- Encourage your child to tell an adult if they receive any worrying messages. Tell them not to reply.
- Find out about the ‘Family Protection Software’ that your network provider has – check on their website or contact Customer Services.
- If your child receives nuisance calls contact the phone operator’s Nuisance Call Centre – or buy a new SIM card.
- Inform yourself about the different types of social network sites – and check which ones your child is using.
- Tell your child to only accept people they know as ‘friends’ on any social network site. Make them aware that people can choose to have false identities online, and explain why that is dangerous.
- Make yourself aware of the issues around ‘sexting’, and talk to your child about the kinds of photos that are not safe to post.
- Please contact the school if you have any concerns.
Morpeth School has a range of security measures in place limiting what pupils can do when using school computers.
For more E-safety information visit our E-safety page – CLICK HERE
- All Articles